Thursday, July 22, 2010

day 2

Today was a full training day. First I had my spanish placement interview, which was definitely a struggle. I was asked open-ended questions for about 20 minutes to place me into an appropriate level of spanish instruction. I will probably start at the bottom, but everyone says it comes fast and I will be fine. Tomorrow we move out of the cush hotel that we are in ( air conditioning and wifi!) and into a host family house. Im excited, I will get a real taste of life here and some real spanish practice. We had papusas (pa POO sas) for dinner, which are a very common. They are beans and cheese in the center of a thick spongy corn tortilla ball smashed flat. They are eaten with salsa, sauerkraut, and pickled cauliflower and carrots, with spiced hot chocolate to drink. They were unbelievably good, the food here seems right up my alley. We also had training today in common health problems that occur as well as how to avoud being the victom of various types of crime. Although El Salvador has the third highest rate of crime among PC countries, it has one of the lowest volunteer drop out rates, which really speaks for the country and the program. Since all I can compare it to is Ghana, thus city seems pretty, clean and well kept to me, while everyone else seems it as a ghetto. Its all relative I guess. My spirits remain high, I feel so blessed to be here.

-

2 comments:

  1. WWAY TO GO FOREST!!! YOU ARE THE ULTRA BRAVE ADVENTURER!! My tears at the airport were mostly all PRIDE for what you're doing, and JOY that you made it happen!! HURRAY TO ALL YOU YOUNG MEN WHO REFUSE TO SERVE THE MILITARY WAR MACHINE! YOU ARE THE WARRIORS OF A PEACEFUL WORLD! Said Albert Einstein! Gotta Love HIm for speaking out!
    I love hearing about how you love the food!!!
    Now tell us what the personalities of your family are like! So awesome that you are staying healthy and feel blessed! You GO Son! Thanks for your phone message !! I LOVE you SO! Your MA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, all in all, it's sounding pretty epic! I still can't believe you're all the way in El Salvador and are being thrown into a situation where you you have to grasp another language and not only master that, but also teach in it to little ninos! That interview seemed daunting, but I know that if anyone can embrace something as adventurous as this, it's you. I'm still so jealous of your job (: I read the title of your blog and literally laughed-out-loud because it's totally something I could see you saying.

    The food sounds amazing to say the least... it's like El Salvador knew of your inherent love & obsession for burritos! Funny that you're viewing the landscape differently from your group because of your Ghana experience, but totally makes sense. I can't wait to hear what living with your host family will be like, cuz that's going to be the real bread and butter of the whole cultural experience. I'm so very excited for you and what these next two years hold...just know I'm thinking of you always and miss you so much <3 And pleeaase, be safe!
    xoxo, christine

    ReplyDelete