Saturday, January 29, 2011


Multicolored chickens. Not sure why.










This is what happens when you bomb hills on a cheap bike when the road is covered with an inch of dust. Dont worry, it will heal.










Skateboarding hits Laguna Verde











1/27/10
I’m back! (in El Salvador) I spent a week back in Arcata with my friends and family. It was the best vacation I could ask for. I got to see my mom and sister, play ultimate and disc golf, hiked in the redwoods, went to the beach, went biking and skating and even sledding, pretty much covering everything I wanted to do. I also got to bring back some goodies, such as energy bars, chocolate, waterproof shoes, a solar shower, my ukulele and three skateboards. The trip back was 26 hours of attempted sleep in terrible seats, so it feels nice to be back here to my second home. I took a nap as soon as I arrived, and opened my eyes to see that a mouse had made a nest in some pants I had left on the bed. I threw the pants on the floor and went right back to sleep. This kind of stuff doesn’t faze me anymore.
I officially introduced skateboarding here; everyone wanted a turn, which resulted in much falling and hilarity. The younger kids learned pretty fast, while the older ones seemed to fall more. I don’t really have a good reason for bringing skateboards, besides giving the kids something new to try and to share one of my passions with them. I’ll keep everyone posted on their progress.
School starts on Monday, and I am going to help the teachers out wherever I can and give some environmental lessons. I hope to start the environmental club within the first month, although I am worried about if I will be able to make it interesting and fun enough to draw interest and continued attendance.

2 comments:

  1. OLA!! Ignacio! We were all just talking about you and how much we missed you, and i said maybe he's posted!! You sure had a rough trip back, and hoping you're feeling good and entertained with all the new toys you brought! Now it's your turn to laugh @ their lack of finesse!! Please take good care of those nasty scrapes, so they don't get infected-got neosporin or peroxide?? Foreign bacteria down there! Prevention is key!! Great pictures, and can you post some from Ourcata? We will tomorrow! SOOO much LOVE your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forest, what has your first week of assisting the kids in school been like? How are you since you've been back? Any chance you'd be willing to let Zion use your Mt. bike for a month till he can scrape the $ together to buy one?

    ReplyDelete