Wednesday, September 15, 2010

almost done with training

It’s finally here! The swearing in is tomorrow and the next day we all travel to our sites. I found out that my site is in one of the most beautiful and coldest regions of the country (I got really lucky with this one). There is a tourist town nearby with paintballing and go-carts. Not what you expect in rural El Salvador, but surprises have become the norm. I will be replacing a volunteer who will go back to the States in the middle of October, so there will be a month overlap so he can show me around and help me set up. I have heard that he works with intensively with the local school teaching environmental education and also coaches a youth soccer team, which I am eager to take over. It’s a little sad to leave my family here since it feels like we were just becoming close and I was part of the family, however I will return in two months for our second round of training that lasts two weeks. I will be living with a host family in my new site too, hopefully everything will work out well. I can’t say much now, but I’m sure next week I will have a lot more to tell everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Now comes the real fun. Have a fantastic time in your new home. Glad to hear the language is going better. See if you can get the kids to talk slower for you so you can start to get the gist of what they are saying. Was that a back flip or back flop? You are a brave one Fo. Hugs, Jane

    ReplyDelete